Saturday, May 16, 2015

Hungduan Rice Terraces Run

Hungduan Rice Terraces

I haven't seen the well known Banaue Rice Terraces. So when a friend suggested we go for the Rice Terraces run, I gave no second thoughts on joining. I said yes right away with a condition of running only the half marathon distance.

So, there were 5 of us (my running friends btw) who registered for the event but only three of us went through. We went for Shuttle's best service to take us to the area and off we went on the dawn of May 16.

This run is one of the most fun and practical run I have ever done. First off, it only costed us 1500php which includes dinner on the night before then breakfast then post run meal. And since we registered early, we also had free accommodations. How cool! We will only be paying for the transportation on our way there (which was more costly than the actual race haha but it's okay, I was after the "runcation").


Banaue finally!

We rode a van all our way to Ifugao, one of Mountain region provinces. I expected the trip to be topsy turvy starting Ifugao, but it came too early, Nueva Vizcaya had lots of road curves. I forgot that the Sierra madre mountains are also in that province and is part of our way to the Ifugao mountains (I am making an explanation because I am a geography freak haha). Anyhoo, I was seated at the driver's passenger side so amongst all passengers inside the van, I got the most sleep (very strategic of me heehee).


Stephen Felices giving us a briefing on how the race will go
Where we stayed, the Hungduan Municipal lodge. Descent and ascent from this area requires major effort (starting line is on the top of the mountain and this is 500m below - go figure)

When we arrived, most of the participants are already there. Some of them got the huts accommodation and we on the other hand got the municipal lodge (wherein I silently thank my friend, Ate Mj for registering us early and making us stay in the lodge accommodation which has toilet and electricity). The way to the lodge is already a challenge as it was situated below (as in you have to go a  downhill slope of about 70deg to get here - again, go figure). But it is okay for me, it is free, it has soft bunk beds with decent bathroom. I am already elated.


This is how I ran the "pilapils". I am afraid of heights and falling so please don't judge

We ate dinner then slept early then ate breakfast then piled to the starting line. As soon as we started, most of the people have already ran but I on the other hand is busy fixing my shoe lace (who chose to be entangled every 10seconds) and fixing my leggings (to prevent chafing - may I add that I hate the fact that my inner legs are in contact with each other.. errggg) on the first kilometer. I was able to settle after two kilometers and jogged all the way thru the Hapao Elementary school where the trail path is supposed to start.

The supposed trail path here is mostly composed of the "pilapils". I honestly don't know what its term in english but if described it is something in the middle of the rice field where people walk to pass. Funny that I wrote "walk" where participants are supposed to run this path. Well, to be honest, I walked when my foot first stepped on one of the pilapils. I got scared because I am afraid of falling, the other side of the rice fields is already a ditch going down.


Shadowfie because I am no longer alone

Upon running I built up a plan, to just walk the rice terraces area and just enjoy. I took pictures along the way and still tried to walk as fast as I can.

As soon as I returned to the road, I slightly ran until the 19th and walked purely on the 20th. The starting line is at the highest point of the area which sucks because we have to run all the way up to return.


With Mr. Stephen Felices at the finish line
Our van mate won first medal! Woohoo!

My goal is to finish before 4hrs. I actually was able to finish it at 3:54m Not bad for me! Woot woot!

I love this race. This is one of the unforgettable run I have ever done. I felt the communal spirit and the race organizer's love for the area. I loved the food btw. It was really something!


Van mates!

Happy to have met new friends along the way. It was fun knowing that my fellow vanmates also love to run outside of metro. I hope to have more runs this year and this is such a refreshing comeback for me. I thank God for this opportunity!

Congrats Team Malaya for a job well done in organizing this race and congratulations to all finishers of this race!


No comments:

Post a Comment