Sunday, July 28, 2019

The Return of the Comeback

So, hello. I am back.

It's been a while since I wrote something here but let me tell you that I just got back (again) to running. What the hell just happened? Let me try to summarize.

I stopped due to my depression, then, when I got home to our province. I got depressed again because this guy that broke my heart gets to have someone to love, before me (and I am so angry, even with God why did he deserve it? Imma save that for another blog). But, as usual, I thought of running again. Then I did, then magically, I get to run 10k again, straight without stopping. I was amazed that I can still do it. Then the next day, I tried to do it again. Still, I did it. 😁

After that, I returned the habit of running again. Though I did join some races but not major ones and I was walking in some. But, I basically returned and lost some weight. The major thing though that made me commit to return and run races again was my first Abbott World Major Marathon.

Tokyo has always been on my mind eversince I was introduced to animé. I have been dreaming of visiting the city and when I learned that one of the World Majors was in Tokyo, I have put it in my bucket list. I joined, I think twice in the past already, and I got in once but I did not push through because I was going to visit Australia and New Zealand in the same month (my moolah is limited so, I have to choose one). Since I have been running already, I decided to just try it again. I remember registering in the middle of the month (I just remembered that the registration was on the whole month of August, then went to the site and then registered for the lottery) then forgot about it already.

Since I forgot about it already, there have been a seat sale in an airline to Taiwan and I booked it near the date of the marathon itself. Then, a friend was inviting me to join them in their Japan trip on the same month but I declined due to budget reasons. Then come September, I received an email that I got in to Tokyo Marathon 2019. I was happy and scared at the same time. How was I going to pull this off? Two international trips in one month is going to pull off my wits and budget at the same time.

Still, I registered thinking that so many people have already tried out for this and then did not have any luck and here I am wasting an opportunity. So, I registered then followed the Nike Run training plan (not religously though, just the long runs since I still have Aikido to practice as well). I was so afraid of the marathon and the cost of the two trips itself but I still went on because it was already booked.

I followed people running for Tokyo Marathon so that I'll know as to what part of the training should I be, for updates and stuff. Good thing though, a friend introduced me to the Tokyo Marathon 2019 PH group which helped a lot - what not to do, rules and regulations of the race, expo updates, coordination with the PH embassy in Tokyo and tour and meet up dinner after and other stuff. Because of these people, I knew that Tokyo Marathon had a secret cutoff.

So, I knew then Tokyo Marathon was a different ballgame than TBR (The Bull runner marathon whrte I ran my first). While the other had a generous cut off, this one (Tokyo Marathon) had a cutoff every 5kms. In their rule book, it was attainable BUT this is if you start at the same time as the person in the first corral (or if you are fast). There are 12 corrals which are arranged depending on your predicted finish time. I assumed to finish within 6hrs so I was put at the last corral. The PH group advised that it may take a while for the corrals at the back to cross the starting line. And that got me worried. I knew that I am not that fast and I really wanted to get the medal.

I read some blogs and there were some that were cut off at the 30th (some even at 35th km) because they didn't meet the time. I don't want to come all the way from the Philippines to Tokyo just to come home without the medal. So, I trained differently. I banked on the long runs and made sure I have two maintainance runs. Unlike in my TBR days, I was so lazy to do the long runs (I'd even walk in most of then). I ran the Run 711 32k race category just to prepare since this is a month before TM. I was ecstatic finishing it, it was the first time I ran the race without the dragging feeling of the long distance. I looked at the people running their 21k as I was approaching my 26th km and thought, wow I am done with your distance guys. I knew then that I am stronger for Tokyo.

I knew I did this right because come Tokyo race day. I was able to pace myself according to what I have planned. I have planned my times (I will pass 21k in 2:40, then 32k before 4:30) then ran all the way to 38th km (because I peed haha). Even with the cold 5deg temp and rain, I still finished this race stronger. I even beat my personal record by 5mins.

I think I did the training right because after race day. I thought it will be hard for me to go to the airport alone (since Tokyo was all about walks to the station, taxis are too expensive here). But, luckily, I was able to move. I could even climb up and down the stairs with no problem, unlike before that I was on sick leave because I could not move my legs. I came home to Manila safe and sound and with a medal.

So, this gave me the confidence that I can still chase my dreams of running other marathons and races. I can still run and I still have the gift. I have to train to become faster though. Well, let's see.

See you on the road guys. I am so back! 😁




No comments:

Post a Comment