Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Regent Run

My 2nd 16k run. I tried preparing for this but the weather did not cooperate. So, my one week activity before this run were made up of Yoga, Aikido and Badminton - all of which were held indoors. No Ultra runs and Office gym runs. I just aimed for endurance and stamina, so I thought badminton, the day before, would do.

But I was so wrong, this run had taught me a lot of things in long distance running. These are some of my mistakes along the way:

1. Hydration points - I would usually hydrate myself on the 7th kilometer. This is based on my normal jogging practice, after an hour, I get myself something to drink. This works on tmy 10k runs, but on this one it didn't. I thought I can get something on the 7th, but to my dismay, there wasn't any hydration stations. And then, there was the Buendia overpass, so I got my first drink on the 9th.

This is was a big mistake on my part because I am already thirsty when I reached the station, so I gulped more than a cup of water. Normally, I would just sip a little to make my throat wet. But since I was THIRSTY, i gulped more than I should have.

2. Leg Cramps - Okay, so factors that might have contributed to this was my lack of sleep (I only slept for three hrs before the race) and lack of sodium/electrolyte content. Water may also contribute to this. After a talk with my running buddies, I've learned that I really should eat something before the run. I only ate a Snicker and my friend's Tupi (this is something like Pochi) which I took during the run. Well, it doesn't work anymore.

3. Lack of sleep, over badminton the day before - yes, I think I overdid the badminton thingy by staying until 5pm then, went to the hospital for the ultrasound then ate a little, then, slept at 12mn. THEN, woke up at 230am. Good job abi good job.

So, there. First I have learned that what I do in my 10k runs will not, work on longer distance runs, EVER. (Remind to self 100x) The day before, I should be well rested, and a friend recommended that I should drink a liter or two of Gatorade, for electrolytes - to prevent cramps. And I really should do the carbo loading days before, I know, I can't eat much but I'll try.

Well, not all of it were THAT bad. I was able to stretch and do yoga before I left the house. I arrived early at the race venue. I was able to see Bearwin Meilly (yeah, he just got cuter) and I was able to join the pre-run exercises. There were marshalls who cheered us along the way, which made the race somehow bearable. AND, I was able to pose for some decent pictures. Since I hate most of my running pictures. (Promise, kahindik hindik. I hate it.)

Running long distances is really a learning process for me. That's why I find it intriguing whether I could really do it, or not. If not, why? I guess, one of the reasons I run is really for self discovery. Whether how far I could go, how long I can last. Regent Run is one of the races I'll never forget because of the lessons I've learned.

Photo credits to Ynny Cee
Next stop, 21k. Abi let's go. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment