Thursday, November 1, 2012

Running RUPM

After my first 21k, I thought of running further than 10k. So when Runrio announced that there will be a fourth installment of the Run United series, I did not waste the opportunity to run my second 21k with 'em. Besides, there was the loyalty shirt if you complete the four runs, so I registered.

I did not prepare much on this race, not as much as I did with my first half mary. Admittedly, I somehow lacked enthusiasm and I seemed tired all the time - given my schedule (juggling in between office, home, dog, aikido, friends and commute). It should not be the reason actually, but my enthusiasm was on its all time low at that time. So, I ran less and I relied on my previous run , The Pink Run for the training (since I really really believe that the terrain was harder).

The Pink Run was a kick on my cockiness, I can still run continuously even with the uphill track. And I did it with a faster time. I thought I could beat my previous personal record. But something happened days before the race. I got sick.

My first flu for the year, just days before the race. I did not report on Wednesday because I woke up with a body sore, fever and the chills. I came in the next day but still, the body sore feeling lasted until yesterday and I got dry cough. So, I thought I was doomed.

I still went for the short badminton session last Sat, to awaken loose muscles. Then, I slept early and I started feeling the chills then went to the event at dawn.

I admit, once I set my mind on something, I am unstoppable. So even with my condition, I still went to run. I would really love to have the finisher shirt and the loyalty shirt after the race (Yes, this was my motivation).
Then the gun fired, the route I have in mind was the one we went last RU. But while running it turned out it wasn't. i thought this was easier with less turns and less uphills but it felt harder. I think one of the reasons that made it harder was the weather and humidity that morning. It's really hot and humid, I ran with the thought and motivation of not running for more than 3hrs.

While running, I was bargaining with myself to run until the 16th km. So given my pace, I will be running for two hrs. But upon reaching the 15th, I said what the heck I have done it before why not do it again. So, I continuously ran but I would stop and take a few seconds at the hydration points to catch my breath. To make things short, I still finished the race without the walk and according to my Nike + Running app my 21k was faster by 7 secs from my last run (GPS recorded that the route was longer by 500m). So, I got weirded out by that but, nonetheless, the feeling of reaching the finishline after taxing my body for 2hrs and 38 mins was still exhilirating and I am happy that I have proved that I can still do it without the walk.

Given my almost consistent time, I got scared. Since there will be the 36th Milo Marathon finals on Dec 9, I would like to take part on it and bring home a medal. The medal would only be possible if you finished the race for less than 2:30. I am 5 mins shy away from my goal, so I really have to work hard for me to able to make it. I have one 21k this coming November then another one a week before the race. I will have to run in betweens in order for me to achieve it.

Ohh wish me luck. I think I'm getting enthusiastic again.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment