Sunday, December 9, 2012

36th National Milo Marathon Finals

Before I came to the starting line, I am already resigned to the fact that I will not get any medal. Well, I came because, I'll never know if I don't try.

After the QCIM race, I thought I wasn't ready for the Milo 21k race. My time was 2:47, and the race medal cut-off is 2:30. Seventeen minutes for me, is a loong time to cut off for a one week training. But, I still did the micro-trainings. I ran two 6 kms for this week, one recovery run, and the other is for uphill training (I ran around West Fairview area). Both runs have registered slower times, just enough for me to really believe that I will really not make it.

Of course, I STILL want to get the medal. I reassessed what happened to QCIM and listed everything that went wrong and try not to bring it on Milo Race. So here are the new things/learnings I've thought of bringing into the race:

1. Energy Gels - I thought of bringing three on the day of the race. I know my energy depletes on the 7th km and I think having an energy source would be helpful in making me run faster.

2. Hydrate: Inside and out - I figured out that heat is one of the factors of my energy depletion. And I have this feeling of fainting when I try to run faster, so to fight this, I decided to wet myself with water on some of the hydration stations. Since, the weather is not as cooperative, I have to adapt.

3. Lessen the Lazy Girl pace - Yes, I have been letting myself to have this on the races. This pace is around 8:00/km. I can't have this if I want to get to my goal. So, I have to set my head into running way past this pace on the day of the race.

4. Take my sandwich before the race day - this is for the initial energy. I usually don't eat my breakfast before the big race but a friend told me that I should eat so that my body would have its initial source of energy.

So, there. The day before I bought the food and a pair of new leggings (I thought it was going to be a December cold morn). I already bought the energy gel, the one recommended by Ate Mj, GU last Friday. Then on the day of the race, my dog got sick. He is hot and feverish.

I am already determined that I will not be getting the medal. So I thought of not going to the race anymore, but I will never know if I didn't try. So, I still went on. I left the dog to my cousin's care and gave a message to my sister who's out of town to get home asap. (Yeah, I love my dog.)

I met Ate Mj to our meeting place and went to the taxi stand and went to the starting line. While on the way, we are already contemplating and saying that if ever we did not make it to the medal cut-off we will just enjoy the race. The gun fired and then we're off.

I thought of pacing with Ate Mj since her pace can make it to the cut-off time. Her QCIM time is sub 2:30, so I think it's a good idea to run behind her. After the 1.5k, she drank her Gatorade and walked and i have no choice but to run for myself and ahead of her (since this time around I planned to get my first hydration on the 4.5k mark).

On the first 5kms, I tried running as fast as I can to beat my 35mins average so that I can have the leverage. So, an idea came into mind while running, I should run fast so that I can have time to spare in the last few kilometers. The temperature and humidity on this day was a killer, so, I took water on the 3rd km and wet my head to keep my temperature down. I have been washing myself until the end, because it was too darn hot! I have to not lose my focus on my goal, I really have to run.

I took the energy gel at the 7.5km, just in time for me to replenish. And boy the gel tasted sooo goood! It was chocolatey and I can taste the cocoa, i thought it was a good choice of flavor. I did not finish the whole pack until the 12th km. Thanks to Ate Mj who told me to take it with water. This is so that my stomach takes it in immediately. So, there I was able to run with energy until the 16th km.

At 16th km, I looked at the watch, I was surprised to see that I really could make the sub 2:30 even if I ran slower. Since Ate Mj was on my back, I would love to ease my mind and let her overtake me. I don't like the pressure of having her behind me, besides, I really want to do the "fun" run. So, I let her through and cheered her to the finish, then started to run my lazy girl pace.

After this, I was actually enjoying everything. I know I'll get my PR even if I don't run as fast. The other racers talked to me and had a great laugh of still making it even with the slow pace. I loved it. When I finally saw the finish line, I was happy seeing the time, it was 2:27. Runners were already shouting on their way to the finish line and I did the same.

As the guy, handed me the medal, I was astonished, amazed. I never knew I could really make it. I looked at the medal as if it was really impossible to get it, but I did. As I reminisced this race was the result of good practices of all the mistakes I've made, Especially from QCIM. I am thankful I ran that race.

As Ate Mj would put it, this is the best last hurrah for the year 2012. I chose the best race for last. I am ready for more races next year and hopefully a full mary on the next next.

Advanced happy holidays everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment