Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Longest run for 2013

Our marathon training program calls for 3:15 hr run this week. Actually, it should be done on the week before this, but knowing me, the forever procrastinator, I planned doing it on a Sunday before the new year.

Since a friend from out of town invited me over, I postponed my previous plan then planned to run on a Monday afternoon. Since I sucked at waking up early and I don't have visors to protect my eyes from the sun, I went around UP Oval at around 4pm. 

I was able to run well for the first 2kms, then I realized that I had to pee, and then when I peed, it felt a little off. It felt like I did not have sufficient water to fuel the whole 3hr run. I tried compensating by drinking another 500ml of Gatorade, but no sir, it did not work. So, I called the whole practice off and went off. Bladder won over me.

Learning from my previous experience, I planned to make a comeback on the next day, Tuesday, Dec 31. The store owner where I leave my things will be there before 1pm. Because of this, I have to make my run in the morning. I bought visors after my defeat and then drank lots and tons of water. 

I came with my cousin, Janjan, and I think I was armed and ready for the three hr and fifteen minutes run. I was scared though, I came in at almost 8am in the morning. Meaning, I will finish around 11am, under the scorching heat. Yes, I was afraid of the heat. But since I had no available time and I wanted to end the year with a blast, I went on.

Good thing, my cousin also have a strong mental stamina. We were able to cover 15kms together at almost 2hrs. Good time, considering he's not into long distance running. 

I went alone after 15kms, and plotted to run on my chill pace (around 8km/hr) on the day of the marathon. The day was perfect for running, it was not too hot (contrary to what I thought it will be), the cold December wind was helping me to push on. I did not even sweat as much. I even ate pancit canton on one of my breaks (Heavy I know! Haha). 

The whole run felt great. I was able to cover 22.4 kms, the longest I've ran so far. This is my way of ending 2013. The whole year wasn't great for me, it offered me different kinds of hardships that were new to me. I admit, as of now, I am not thankful. But I am hoping this 2014, all the lessons will be something I will be smiling about. 

My marathon will be on Feb, and I know things will change this year. I am hopeful everything will be for the best. Cheers everyone! 

Me sporting my skimpy shirt for this run, note that the sun is already up but it wasn't that hot

My cousin, Janjan, who ran with me until the 15th! Strong kid!


No comments:

Post a Comment