Sunday, December 8, 2013

Running the Nike We Run Manila 2013 10k race

This is my first 10k of the year. Yes, you've read that right, I am running 10k again. I have not ran any short distance race lately, since my office friends asked if I can join, I gave in. 

Mind you, Nike We Run Manila is not one of the races I am looking forward to yearly. First, it only hosts 10k races and second, it has too many runners, makes running properly (meaning PR possible runs) impossible. This is based on past experience and feedback from friends who have ran the race. 

So with this, why join? Well, I am giving myself a chance to run another 10k again. And, knowing the freebies from Nike, I know it will be all worth it. With this, I joined my friends in registering the race. 

One thing that made me think twice though, the race will be held at Marikina City. Marikina, with its small and congested roads, all my running woes will probably come true. As one friend have mentioned, it was a cheap place to hold a race in. But, I thought, I am giving Marikina a chance, since I have been running on their Sports Plaza for months now, why not give it a try.

After registering and gathering the kits, I think I am good to go. Good thing, the race organizer already expected the number of participants in this race and sent a message to everyone to be early at the race venue. (This is as i said, the roads are small) Me and my office mates already set to meet at one of my office mate's house, where we leave our things there. 

As I commute, the fx (public transpo that I was in) from Commonwealth Market, did not go through the San Mateo route, maybe due to the expected traffic, it went around Katipunan Ave then Marcos Hi-way. My office mate directed me to go through another way to prevent the people and the traffic, which was effective, I was able to get to the destination on time. 

At the starting line, it was filled with people. What can you expect? It was expected to have 14,000 runners. I already started at wave 2. So I guess there were more people at the back when we started. 

Panorama version of how it looked like at my place at the starting line
It was people congested at the start, it was hard to run properly. I have to zigzag all the way from people who were walking. I like to shout at them to remind that "THIS IS A RUN RACE PEOPLE NOT A WALK IN THE PARK". This is the part that I did not like, I wish they were reminded to walk on the one side so we can all run on the other. As soon as the roads got wider, I was already exhausted. I felt the heat, and the lack of oxygen due to the volume of people also gasping for air during the run. I am disappointed with myself at this point but, when I looked at my performance, it was okay. I was at my good comfortably hard pace.

I liked the part where the people around were cheering and the kids were asking for high fives. It was something I can smile at during the race. I did not look for photographers at this point since it is impossible to look for yourself in a crowd of 14000 people.

I must say, the finish line on this race is my favorite so far. The whole sports plaza was lighted and the track felt like the red carpet. I did not make my photo finish finish, but I slowed down and clamored the moment. It was amazing. I ran there a couple of times, but I did not expect the whole stadium to be that beautiful. Amazing. 

The finish line chaos

Overall, the race was okay for me. The influx of people and roads and the racers themselves did disappoint but the people cheering, the finish line view and the freebies were enough to make me like this race. I guess I can look forward to this race next year. Good job Nike. :) 

Me and my friends before gunstart

 

No comments:

Post a Comment