Monday, July 30, 2012

Milo Marathon 2012

I prepared for this race, i know it's only 10k but I promised myself I will have to beat my previous 10k record. Previous record was 1:20 (hr:mins).

So one month before the race, I joined a badminton group. I am not really an official member, but I am present every Sat just to increase stamina. I added this on my weekly plan, which was to jog at least twice a week, aikido once a week then this.

I think badminton made a lot of improvement on my stamina. Looking at the pace graph below, there is a downward trend (shucks why do I have this feeling that I am presenting something from work - abi, duh!) starting July this year.

Then, race day came, I was actually late. But I didn't care, I don't think I was in the mood to run that day, I just came because I prepared for the race. I have to know whether I improved or not. Before this day, I had a record run of 7:28 mins/km, so I was trying to gun a 1:10 (hr:mins).

I remembered my last kilometer, after the turn, I remembered seeing a blur of rain on the horizon. Then seconds after that, rain poured. I remembered seeing a pink person on the side waving at me, it was Mike, my colleague, then I waved back. He went ahead. I was trying to focus on the run, I haven't ran a 10k straight so this was a first to me.

Upon reaching the finish line, I checked my time immediately - I usually use my phone to time myself. It was a 1:17 (hr:min), I got a bit disappointed. It was 7 mins shy my goal. It did break my previous record though, it was also my first 10k straight run. So, I should be happy right?

I am not convincing myself with that one, I have to defeat myself on my next run. I have 2 runs lined up this coming August, since I am preparing for 21k, these two runs will be longer, both 16k. So, on Ru3 this coming Sept, where I will be running my first 21k, I will be prepared. My feet and body will be all prepared, well, I hope.

I wish I was faster though. Let's cross fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment