Saturday, April 13, 2013

Dragging errr.. Walking the dog

If you have read my last entry, you may have known about my knee injury. I already had it checked and the doctor told me that it was a knee sprain (or strain or whatever, I wasn't keen on listening but it was something like that). And, it also has the possibility of ITBS, so she told me to have 2 weeks of rest then undergo 6 sessions of therapy.

When I heard that I had to rest, I was a bit sad. I have another race to run in about three weeks and I needed to prepare but, I know I can't run with my faulty knee so I have to follow. Usually, I look forward to Sat runs but since it's not allowed for me to do that, I decided to walk the dog.

When I decided to do this earlier, I thought it could at least help me in maintaining my fitness and a bit of my endurance. Walking MY dog is never easy since he is big and he is too excited to go places. I woke up to an empty doggie food bin earlier, and then decided to walk from our home to the vet's clinic (which is around saay 1.5kms).

Also I took this decision because I woke up to a very hyper dog. Yes, he is very energetic. He really needs to have his walks or runs every single day. Or else he'll destroy the whole house without you noticing. So, I told the dog that we'll walk and then his tail started wagging and then off we went.

Our first kilometer was a struggle, he isn't used to the route so we kept dragging each other. He always looks around and I scold him when he drags me too much. I tried calming him down by letting him sit and then, let him observe the surrounding. Of course, this didn't calm him a bit. But when we reached the vet and bought what I needed and then went back, he started giving in.

He started not dragging his leash, at least for a while. That little moment was so precious to me at that time because I was already carrying 3 kgs of dog food and I will not be able to keep up if he keeps dragging.

I ate toasted siopao along the way and then went straight home. That was almost 3 kms of doggie walk and doggie dragging.

As what I have observed, most of the people are still judgmental when it comes to dogs. My dog, Odin is a boxer and he has this mean look, almost pitbull-like, in his face, but once you get to know him, he's the most friendly dog. I am not afraid to walk him because if ever one dog comes near he always knew what to do. He's calmer than me.

I love that I did this even though it left my arms sore (exercise, I know! :-)) and now I can have this as a new weekend activity that I can add to my list. This could be a good bonding time for me and my dog and maybe in the future, when we already have perfected these walks, I could also train him to join me in one of my races. Who knows? :)

He's already tired here I made him sit so that I can take this photo. :)
Taken in one of the streets inside our village

Too cute not to post, he wants to stop me from taking pictures and walk straight home. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment