Friday, April 19, 2013

Rekindling First Love

I remember when we were young, my parents bought a bike with sidecar for us. Our househelp would usually take us to and from the school via sidecar. I still remember that it was colored blue and the seat was quite long and after some years we removed the sidecar.

We were already at this village when the sidecar was removed. That was when I instinctively hopped and studied how to bike myself, which I successfully did. I think before my 6th or 7th birthday I already know how to ride the bike.

Of course, that bike got defunct and my uncle, who lived with us at that time, bought one for himself and I would usually use it to go around the village/area. I enjoyed biking, I wasn't an ordinary biker, my aunt scolded me for being fast at the wrong places. Eversince my uncle/s (because almost every uncle that lived with us bought his own bike) took their equipment back to their hometow, obviously, I stopped. My parents weren't keen on buying bikes since my siblings were always out of the house and it may contribute to the time consumed of them being more out of the house than in it. (Err.. I think you're getting what I am saying, I'll just assume you do..:D)

I think, since I've been doing it for a long time, your muscle remembers how strong it should be when I get to any bike. So, on my yearly vacay to our province, I tried biking. Just to check whether I still have it and if I can really do it.

Last year, I also did biking but it wasn't this serious. I just did it to go places to take pictures, but I think I've covered 8kms a day on it. This is without any body sore or pain or whatever on the next day. (Probably contributing factor was that I am also running every morning so, I think it somehow strengthen my body). So, to make my point, I challenged myself to go the distance on a bike.

And yes, I did the challenge. On Tuesday afternoon, I was already bored with my book, and I was a bit irritated so I went out and checked whether I could give biking a try. I asked my aunt if I can borrow her bike, she agreed then I took off I went to the next town, Anahawan.

Or should I say, it should be Anahawan, because when I reached San Juan's last town, it was already dark (Stupid stimpy me started at 530pm, yeah last minute decision I tell you!). So, I did not push it and returned back. All-in-all this ride covered distance of about 14kms.

Brgy Bobon marker, it is 7kms away from San Juan(SJ) and 1077kms away from Manila

After this ride, I realized I can bike longer. This is because I did not feel any body sore or pain. Annd! I already biked all the way to Bobon with slight maximum effort (yes, this is because I prefer biking like a madwoman, pushing the pedal to the limit. Now you know, where those logs errrr legs
are coming from :D). After assessing and realized how I felt, I challenged myself to go a bit further the next day. Sadly though, I was not able to go the next day because the bike was still in use by my aunt, and went home in the evening so, I did it on the next day. Just to make sure dthe sun is still up when I get back, I did it in the morning.

I started at around 6am, then while biking I decided to cover twice the distance I've covered last time. I know it was crazy to decide to ride 30kms in a leisure bike, at a unknown town and alone. But, I took the risk.

Took a picture of the Bike using the rule of thirds (Lol :D)

So I went on, making my kilometer markers as my guide as to how far I am and I am also using my new found app for biking named Strava. (Coool app! I used it for two days and it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!) I used the app to track how fast I am going and how many estimated calories I have lost.

view of the strava app.. i reaaly find itcool, just like the Nike+Running app
Back to biking, my plan was to make it to Anahawan then return back, ensure that I have covered 15kms before I return. It was dandy fine when I was biking on my way to the 15th. I stopped on some places because I was taking pictures along the way.

When I reached the first barangay of Anahawan, I got scared. It was an unfamiliar territory. I think I went there before with my aunt(I have so many aunts mind you) because the town contained the nearest district hospital. Seeing the coconut trees, the empty road the sign that says "Welcome to Anahawan", everything is just too new. But I should not let it stop me, so, I went on.

First sight of Anahawan from our town, this is the Guinakot Bridge
The Town of Anahawan is about 12kms (accdg to the kilometer marks) from San Juan, so I need to cover at least 3kms more to reach my goal. This goal had reached me to Brgy Mahalo, Anahawan. Upon reaching my 15th km, I stopped, took pictures again and turned back. As I looked at the road back to San Juan, I thought, "How am I supposed to return back?".
Anahawan Town Proper and it is an accident prone area with its sharp curves, better be careful

Mahalo Bridge

Road of no return
Seriously, I did not have any idea whether I can return safely. I am already 15kms away from comfort, it is scary. But, of course, I put myself into this, there will be no turning back. So I prayed that I can return safely and then went on.

Good thing the sun was already at my back. I don't know how to wear shades and I did not bother bringing one, I just let my eyes be fried with the sun's rays on my way to Anahawan. So having the sun on my back was a good thing, at least I did not have to worry about the sun. What I was most worried about was my hydration. When I went back, I tried to overtake one guy who was riding leisurely and in front of me. I eventually did but he gained speed. That got me pissed! So on my next km I tried overtaking the guy but then I realized the heat was already overtaking me, I need a drink.

Stupid stupid mistake that I've made was that I let myself go that far without water/drinks. I was already at a barangay where there were less people and I just kept looking on the next sari-sari store. Bad thing was the only store I saw did not have anything my stomach would want to have, it only has Sting.

What the hell is Sting? It's an energy drink from Coca-cola Phils, I guess that's supposed to act lile Gatorade. Due to desperation, I bought one and drank it. It tasted like cough syrup. Ergg.. The taste of no choice drink was more distasteful than any other drink. I drank some more, did not finish it, I'll hate the aftertaste, put the plastic with the drink in the trash can and went on.

Little did I know that I shouldn't be buying anything outside town, this is because of some urban legends that people will put poison on your drink/food. Good thing the barangay I bought my drinks to was not one of the barangay in the urban legend so my tummy is happy safe.

To summarize, I was able to return safely, I was in awe when I returned. I covered 30kms of biking and it did not gave me a single sweat (Admittedly, this is true with the exception of having sweat of fear and uncertainty). Even though it was scary, I love the feeling after! I think I can do and cover longer distances. I feel my body is made for this. But of course, first, I have to buy myself a bike. I hope I can do this by May 2013.

Can't you just tell how I am excited while writing this long entry? ^_^ I am planning to bike from here to UP and back when I get that baby with me.

Again, excitttedd! Forgive me. :)

Officially Biker Chick with big logs err legs. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment