Thursday, April 25, 2013

Running at Subic

We recently held our annual Team building for our teeny weeny team of 15 (good job and kudos to Dennis Imperial, by far this is the best and the most fun we've had for the last 5 years) and since it is days before the Nat Geo run, one of our colleagues suggested that we run at the place where the Team Building will be held.

This year, it was decided to be held at Kamana Sanctuary at Subic, Zambales. I did not know of this place until I looked at the map. Me and my father first went here without the resort, this was a public beach called the Nabasan Beach and now owners of Kamana already bought the whole area. It was good that my colleague, Mike chose this place because it was secluded and it had a pool (I am doing this weekly swimming thingy so this is an advantage).

Kamana Beach Front, with Jelly Fish signs
The resort, enticing much no? 

As I drove the hilux to our destination, the road and the view gave me the inspiration to run the next day. It was nature, and the roads were made of asphalt. I am definitely excited! Scenic landscapes really get me going on running.

When we arrived, we swam and did volleyball and then the next day, as agreed, I woke up early, to brave the road from Nabasan beach to the highway. Good thing, two of my colleagues kept their word and ran with me. They paced me and I was the gps girl, we planned to run 10k that day. I am the key that will
lead them to the 5th km mark. (Haha reason not to leave me! hahaha)

At 545am we rolled, I was able to keep up with them on the first km, but as soon as I heard my breathing (which was from my understanding gasping already for air, panicky, out of rhythm) I wore my headset to focus more. I tried not to talk but these are my colleagues and they don't have any headset on them so I tried keeping up.
What I call pahirap path, everything is uphill up to the 

Before the fourth km, I walked, this is because I can feel my knee sprain/pain/injury already. It was uphill, super, uphill and I couldn't keep up so I let the other two run at it. I walked at their backs. As soon as we reach the intersection, we all decided to go south. Then we ran altogether with me at the middle. The final 2km stretch was the killer, it was a 70 degree uphill(I think), I could no longer keep up. I let them go and run it, and then I walked for a couple of mins. As soon as the downhill was at sight, I ran to keep up with them.

After the 5th km mark, which was near Morong gate already, I was able to keep up with them until the end. Good thing, my knees were slight undamaged but my right shin and calf had this irritating pain that kept me soothing it the whole day so that I can run the next day.
My Subic Running buddies, and I thought I was not going to make it with them haha

The next day, I ran alone, I tried running the path we all did the other day, but, there was a monkey who blocked my way. I am afraid it might bite or do something with me, so, I did not push thru. I just ran at the nearby empty lot area, which was about 600m in length, not bad so I ran. Bad thing though, my knee injury is starting to make its presence known during the whole run. So I only ran 5kms that day then made up by swimming.

The little dot at the middle was the monkey, I wanna come closer but it may do harm and we don't want any harm don't we?
                     
My alternative running area - the open field, I just ran around

After this experience, I remembered I liked running on different places. I think being on foot on certain places makes you explore the place more and it is the same here. And it is the first time I ran with buddies who actually ran with me. I really liked this experience. Every once and a while it is good to have some buddies to run in a beautiful place. 

All-in-all the team building was a big break for our group and for myself too. I get to realize some things about my colleagues that made me appreciate them more. Sometimes, it is necessary for some people to have breaks in their life to check what's missing and what needs to be done in order for us to fill in whatever gap that exists. 


No comments:

Post a Comment