Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Walkathon at Nat Geo Earth Day Run 2013

The doctor said I have ITBS and knee sprain, the verdict was to rest for two weeks then try running for about 30mins if it does not hurt, keep running (or something like that.. hehe.. ) if it hurts, try the 10min run and 5min walk. I learned the run exercise a day before the Nat Geo Earth Day Run 2013.

Yes, it wasn't a go sign from the doctor to run this race. I ran because I am losing this fight with my knee injury and I don't wanna baby it anymore.

my legs before going home to our province. It was all tapered up
As usual, I came early for this race. One of the not-so-okay was the long line for the baggage counter, I almost wished I didn't bring any bag. It was for our good though, since there were bomb sniffing dogs to check whether we are carrying explosives or not. This got me scared, one dog smelled my bag for too long, he even tried getting his nose inside. Erggg.. There were no bombs, and no food either, just my change of clothes.

So, I came to the starting line feeling scared because I might not run the same way again. I ran at a pace of almost 7 mins per km on the first three kms then 8 mins per km up to the 8th km. Then, it was the Buendia overpass so I slowed down then maintained 8 up to the 12th. After drinking my hydration on the 12th, my knee injury was starting to make it's presence known. I tried doing the Chi Running but I think I still lack the know how on successfully executing it. That was when I started walking.

Can't run, so we go walk walk walk walk
I thought I was going to walk for a while then run again but the knee pain was still there when I tried. Add also the fact that my momentum was already destroyed, I resigned to the fact that I could not run again. The sun was already out and it was really hot. I wanted to go to the finish line already. My motivation was to just finish the race and get the finisher's shirt, so I went on.

I was able to finish the race after 3hrs and 18 mins, my slowest ever. I did not even bother checking it, until now. It was a lame time. It's one of those things I did not dream of having, my target before was not to have a 3hr run on my belt but here it is. Oh well, it's either this will be the start of all my lame races or the momentum for the best times to come. Let's see. 

My run analysis from Strider.ph

Obviously, it was sad that I have to walk. It was defeat on my point of view, but I thought, if I keep running I might not run my first marathon, my first triathlon, and Run United 2. I will let defeat win this time, I really have to get better. 

I am still on therapy and I will be practicing how to do the Chi Running to lessen whatever injury I may be having. I hope I can fully run on the Run United 2 Event, if not there, I will be setting my PR on the Milo Manila Eliminations. 

As for the race, the organizer, Event king did a so-so performance, they gave the runners a killer challenging route, hydration was sufficient, but I did not see any energy drinks though. I love the singlet and the finisher's shirt.I hate the organization on the baggage counter though, I think it could be improved. 

I think I am lacking enthusiasm. I wish I can win it back. Oh well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment